Latvian Fund for Nature and University of Latvia offer a unique internship position for natural sciences Master student interested in working with grassland habitat inventories and monitoring, evaluation, and work with databases. You will have an opportunity to participate in the project GrassLIFE, which is a nation-wide grassland restoration project, dealing with EU priority grassland habitats.
Interns will be provided with the initial training in plant identification upon starting the internship and afterwards tasked with independent work under a supervision of an experienced grassland habitat expert. The main scope will be to participate in the monitoring and evaluation of semi-natural grassland restoration success in project GrassLIFE. The work will involve extensive field work, working outdoors in various weather conditions. We will provide interns with means of transport and will cover the transport costs while working in the field (if those costs would not be covered by Erasmus or other scholarship).
We offer a unique opportunity to participate in the hands-on plant identification work and become a part of a grassland restoration and management team. You will acquire practical skills in identification and monitoring of grassland plant species and data analysis.
Detailed description of main tasks and option for Master’s Thesis here.
Duration: 3 months
Period: 1 May to 31 July, 2022
Deadline to apply: 30 November 2021
Field of studies: natural sciences / agricultural sciences / geography or geology
Commitment: 4 days per week
Years of experience required: Yes
Level of studies: Master
- English: Independent User B2
- Drivers licence (EU category B)
- Basic knowledge in plant species determination
- Knowledge of ecology of semi-natural grassland ecosystems
- Research skills
- Interpersonal skills - being able to work independently, as well as working in team; proactivity
- Working knowledge of Latin for species identification would be an advantage
- The internship is UNPAID, priority will be given to applicants who are part or are planning to apply for Erasmus Plus or other scholarship.
- Legal eligibility to work in the EU is a must.
- Foreign students should be covered by health and travel insurance from their home country.
How to apply:
Option 2: apply by sending an e-mail with Motivation Letter and your CV to Latvian Fund for Nature at firstname.lastname@example.org