Internship in Latvian Fund for Nature – management of mobile grazing herds for grassland restoration
Latvian Fund for Nature offers two internship positions for natural sciences or agricultural sciences students interested in working with grazing management, cattle and sheep management and pasture management in the field. You will have an opportunity to participate in the project GrassLIFE, which is a nation-wide grassland restoration project, dealing with EU priority grassland habitats. One of the grassland restoration means applied in the project are innovative mobile grazing herds consisting of Galloway cattle and sheep that are transported all over county to ensure the grazing in most remote and abandoned grasslands.
Interns will be provided with the initial training in the herd management upon starting the internship and afterwards tasked with independent field work under a supervision of the GrassLIFE herd manager. The work will involve extensive field work (setting up the fencing for pastures, mowing of grasslands, checking on animals etc.), sometimes camping in the field and working outdoors in various weather conditions. We will provide interns with means of transport and cover the transport and accommodation costs while working in the field (if those costs would not be covered by Erasmus or other scholarship).
We offer a unique opportunity to participate in the practical nature conservation work, and become a part of a grassland restoration and management team. You will acquire field work experience in herd management for nature conservation and a lot of practical experience in daily pasture management.
Duration: 2-4 months
Period: 1 May to 31 August
Deadline to apply: 31 December 2018
Field of studies = natural sciences / agricultural sciences
Commitment: Full time
Years of experience required: No
Level of studies: Bachelor
• Drivers licence (EU category B).
• Familiarity with agricultural work, working in the field.
• We expect our interns to be independent, proactive and good team players.
• Excellent English skills are required.
• Physical fitness to work in hard field conditions.
• Tractor driver’s licence would be an advantage
• Experience in working with tractor implements (mower, trailer etc.), skills for working with chainsaw and brush cutter/trimmer would be an advantage.
• The internship is UNPAID, priority will be given to applicants who are part or are planning to apply for Erasmus Plus or other scholarship.
• Legal eligibility to work in the EU is a must.
• Foreign students should be covered by the health and travel insurance from their home country.