Latvian Fund for Nature
EU LIFE programme, Latvian Environmental Protection Fund and project partners
Latvia, 14 Natura 2000 sites in the country
|Project Contact Information
Vīlandes 3-7, Rīga LV 1010
|Project Home Page
Long-term objective: GrassLIFE will focus on developing, optimising and improving the conservation status of five EU priority grasslands in Latvia (6120*, 6210*, 6230*, 6270* and 6530*). All restoration activities will be carried out within 14 Natura 2000 network sites.
Specific objectives are to:
- Restore the target priority grassland habitats and improve their conservation status on 1320.5 hectares by applying best-practice and testing pilot and restoration methods;
- Establish a long-term sustainable management (grazing) system on the restored grassland areas;
- Prepare recommendations for improving their conservation status and grassland connectivity;
- Improve the economics aspect of sustainable grassland use; and
- Improve knowledge and public awareness about the importance of preservation of priority grasslands in Latvia and the EU.
A. Preparatory actions, elaboration of management plans and/or of action plans
C. Conservation actions
D. Monitoring of the impact of the project actions
E. Public awareness and dissemination of results
F. Project management
Currently, this section contains the list of the expected project results. It will be updated as the project proceeds
- 1320.5 ha of priority grassland habitats will be restored and improved in habitat quality and conservation status - innovative/ pilot grassland restoration methods tested on some 400 ha;
- A long-term sustainable management system will be established on 720.5 ha of the habitat types, by integrating grasslands into the daily farming practices of partner farms involved in the project;
- Long-term sustainable grazing management will be established of 600 ha of ‘difficult grasslands’ (i.e. difficult to manage and/or access) and of 300 ha per year after the project, by using mobile grazing units;
- Recommendations for improving the conservation status and connectivity of priority grasslands will be prepared and submitted to the Ministry of Environment;
- At least 120 restoration plans and 10 farm business plans will be produced;
- A demonstration farm will be established, serving as an information and education centre. At least 150 different demonstration events will be carried out;
- An economic study of grasslands, biodiversity and business will be conducted. This will identify at least 10 grassland-related business products with high added-value;
- A communication plan will be produced and implemented, focusing on ecosystem services;
- The citizen science approach will be applied to nature observations (www.dabasdati.lv) and soil monitoring;
- Replication strategy will be elaborated; and
- Expert proposal for agri-environmental measures related to the conservation of project target habitats for integration into the country’s Rural Development Programme for 2021-2027 will be developed and submitted to the Ministry of Agriculture.
To be updated as project proceeds.